The Happiest Blog On Earth

A journal of my 2nd half century. From the midwestern State of Wisconsin, all the way to the Monterey Bay. This week, I'll get in the car and head West. If you want to come along, you'll need your pillow and a flashlight.

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, March 28, 2005

Ghosts of the Civil War

Example

Through a typically strange set of circumstances, I am right now, sitting in the grand ballroom of a Civil War era mansion in Vicksburg, Missisippi. My bedroom is downstairs and it's the place I will sleep tonight after I finish my work on my laptop. I sit here, typing away, connected via wireless to the internet, in a building that is now a bed and breakfast inn, but 145 years ago was the Duff Green Mansion, a home to a family encroached upon by the war between the states. They vacated their home, going to live in nearby caves, while the soldiers took over and converted their house to a hospital. In one of the rooms downstairs were stacked the amputated limbs of damaged soldiers. The room I will sleep in was once the operating room. In 1865, conditions for anesthesia were not ideal. I imagine much suffering took place here, and yet, here I am, typing away on the second floor, sending out this message. This place feels familiar to me, and I stumbled on it by chance, looking for a place to stay tonight. My great, great grandfather died in the Civil War. He was taken prisoner and died of cholera or dissentary I believe. Perhaps he was here for a time. Another thing I may never know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your heading for New Orleans have a Hurrican for me and be sure to stop by a place called Tropical Isle and listen to some Jimmy Buffet. Then head to the Dungeon(opens after midnight). Some of the bartenders and patrons believe they are vampires!!! Keep your eyes open for the spank tank. At the Dungeon ask for Tripple D(he looks like a member of ZZ Top). He use to take care of my friend Peggy and I when we visited the Dungeon. Maddalyn and John say hi. Love Karen

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I await your vision improving instructions, Master.... xoxoxox Igor

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home