The Happiest Blog On Earth

A journal of my 2nd half century. From the midwestern State of Wisconsin, all the way to the Monterey Bay. This week, I'll get in the car and head West. If you want to come along, you'll need your pillow and a flashlight.

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Treasure beyond your wildest dreams.

Sweet Aunt Jo and I went to a farm auction. In a cold, tin shed stood a greedy mob, looking for the finest remnant to carry away for a dollar or two. The perimeter of the room was stacked with stuff, delightful items, mysterious devices. Look! Its an antique sausage stuffer. Ahoy! An old sailor suit. Schwing! A Girly poster. All around the room, the murmur of the day, the credo of the crowd- "we used to have one of them".
As our feet continued to freeze, we still were intrigued. I held out to bid for a beautiful patchwork quilt. Sold for 50 dollars, to someone else.
By golly, there's an old army helmet. Sold, for 50 dollars. For an army helmet? What a maroon.
I had set aside and consolidated 2 boxes of mixed color Fiesta Ware. When it came up and the cowboy lifted it high in the air, I waited... waited.... waited.... bid 15 dollars. Hooray! No one wanted it but me. Triumph.
Now that I reflect on it, we should have stuck around for the other items I spied. I now have regrets. Wasn't that japanese print a tiny woodblock masterpiece? That dusty Currier and Ives print was original- certainly. Early photographs in broken frames. They may be nondescript buildings but Atget could have taken them.
I'll never know. I wasn't meant to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home